Welcome!

Welcome to my Polish blog! My Polish great grandpa was orphaned during the Chicago flu epidemic of 1918 & spent his life looking for all of his siblings. Some family stayed in Chicago & some returned to Poland. Some family was Catholic, & some are believed to be Jewish. I post the things I learn in efforts it may help someone else in their research. I also hope this blog helps me connect with others that know about the people I'm learning about. Digital images of records or links are put inside most postings so you can view records full screen. I encourage comments. Feel free to sign the guestbook, stating who you're looking for. Maybe we can all help each other out this way, because there are many challenges with Polish research. I hope you enjoy learning with me. And I hope to be taught more about my Polish heritage.
I have added a few languages to this blog through Google translate. I hope that it may be accurate enough with the communication of ideas.
Thanks! -Julie

Witam! (Polish translation of Welcome)

Witam w moim polskim blogu! Mój pradziadek został osierocony w czasie epidemii grypy w 1918 roku i spędził wiele lat poszukując swojego rodzeństwa. Część rodziny pozostała w Chicago a część wróciła do Polski. Część rodziny była katolikami a część, jak przypuszczam, wyznania mojżeszowego. Piszę w moim blogu o rzeczach które odkrywam i o których dowiaduję się mając nadzieję, że pomogą one wszystkim zainteresowanym w ich własnych poszukiwaniach. Wierzę, że ten blog pomoże mi w skontaktowaniu się z ludźmi którzy wiedzą coś na temat osób ktorych poszukuję. Zdjęcia cyfrowe lub linki umieszczone są w większości moich komentarzy i artykułów, można więc otworzyć je na cały ekran. Gorąco zachęcam do komentarzy. Proszę wpisać się do księgi gości i podać kogo Państwo szukacie. Może będziemy mogli pomóc sobie nawzajem, ponieważ nie jest łatwo znaleźć dane których szukamy. Mam nadzieję, że zainteresuje Państwa odkrywanie ze mną tajemnic przeszłości. Mam rówież nadzieję poznać lepiej moje polskie dziedzictwo.

Dodałam do mojego blogu automatyczne tłumaczenia poprzez Google. Ufam, że będą wystarczające w zrozumieniu o czym jest mowa w artykułach i komentarzach.

Dziękuję! - Julie

Натисніть на прапор, щоб подивитися на українській мові

Щелкните флаг для русского перевода

Kliknij na flagę, aby zobaczyć w języku polskim

17 February 2013

Karolina Matuszek's picture helps me

Karolina has braids on top her head & is smiling

Soon I hope to tell more of Karolina's story. But today, I just wanted to tell why I like this picture. This is is a picture of Karolina at a school for deaf children in Vienna, about 1916 or 1917. Karolina went to this school for 8 years, and learned German. Karolina's family all learned German to communicate with her when she got home. A handicap was deadly at that time, especially if the Gestapo knew about it. And Karolina lived where the Gestapo invaded. Sometimes we don't know why things happen. But I do believe good things can come from overcoming difficult challenges. Karolina's family was able to be part of the resistance, because they knew German. Karolina was not killed because of a handicap, as many were at that time. Many people never knew she was deaf, she had an excellent education.

I am personally having some challenges, and am considered handicapped. I have trouble walking. I also sometimes have problems with my hands. I have leg braces and knee braces and am braced up most my legs. I use canes to help balance, and a walker. Sometimes I just can't walk at all and use a wheelchair. It's now extremely difficult (and some days impossible) for me to walk up stairs. But my house is 2 stories. My bedroom and bathroom are upstairs and the kitchen is downstairs. I never wanted to move again, but I am moving to a one level house in a month. I just got a wheelchair in November. There is so much to learn and adjust to, it is a bit overwhelming some times. Trying to relearn how to do everything from sitting! But when I sit in my office, and see Karolina's smiling picture, it makes me smile. I think that she would have understood. We had to learn different things, but we both have had to learn to adapt and adjust. Karolina is smiling, looking like she might be happy to be on an adventure. I'm happy I get to learn with my family. I think going away from home, to another country for so long, would be hard, but definitely adventurous. An investment in the future.

Many times the people who went before us understand and can teach us from their many experiences. But even more than just people, our ancestors. Often times, when we are doing something hard, someone else has done that too. Maybe you didn't know before, because you can't always tell from looking at someone. Learning more about them, or looking at that picture may help. You can remember they survived the hard days too! Another thing that cheers me up, is that I even have this picture. It's pretty amazing how I got it and the story with it. A relative who our family lost contact with, (many years ago) saw my blog, and reconnected with me. This picture is from Jolanta Piecuch and her father Adolf Sanetra.

1 comment:

Jolanta said...

Julie, your story is beautiful. And you are absolutely right about Karolina going through life with a smile despite her being handicapped. She couldn't communicate with the rest of the world (besides her family) because she spoke German. She had learned some Polish words by herself but as you can imagine her pronunciation was not understandable for "outsiders". Despite all that, she was always cheerful and ready to laugh. I remember when I was coming for a vacation visits to Zywiec she would run to the door and kiss and hug me with a big smile. Then, when she moved to Liliana's house in Bielsko - Biala I remember her sitting in the window and jumping and waving in the window with that huge smile when she saw us coming for a visit. Karolina, or aunt Lina [pron. Leena] as I called her, liked to read newspapers and watch TV. Besides cheerful nature she had this independence and stubbornness traits which her sister Julia had too. She was at my wedding and ate, drunk, and laughed a lot. I am missing her all the time…