Welcome!

Welcome to my Polish blog! My Polish great grandpa was orphaned during the Chicago flu epidemic of 1918 & spent his life looking for all of his siblings. Some family stayed in Chicago & some returned to Poland. Some family was Catholic, & some are believed to be Jewish. I post the things I learn in efforts it may help someone else in their research. I also hope this blog helps me connect with others that know about the people I'm learning about. Digital images of records or links are put inside most postings so you can view records full screen. I encourage comments. Feel free to sign the guestbook, stating who you're looking for. Maybe we can all help each other out this way, because there are many challenges with Polish research. I hope you enjoy learning with me. And I hope to be taught more about my Polish heritage.
I have added a few languages to this blog through Google translate. I hope that it may be accurate enough with the communication of ideas.
Thanks! -Julie

Witam! (Polish translation of Welcome)

Witam w moim polskim blogu! Mój pradziadek został osierocony w czasie epidemii grypy w 1918 roku i spędził wiele lat poszukując swojego rodzeństwa. Część rodziny pozostała w Chicago a część wróciła do Polski. Część rodziny była katolikami a część, jak przypuszczam, wyznania mojżeszowego. Piszę w moim blogu o rzeczach które odkrywam i o których dowiaduję się mając nadzieję, że pomogą one wszystkim zainteresowanym w ich własnych poszukiwaniach. Wierzę, że ten blog pomoże mi w skontaktowaniu się z ludźmi którzy wiedzą coś na temat osób ktorych poszukuję. Zdjęcia cyfrowe lub linki umieszczone są w większości moich komentarzy i artykułów, można więc otworzyć je na cały ekran. Gorąco zachęcam do komentarzy. Proszę wpisać się do księgi gości i podać kogo Państwo szukacie. Może będziemy mogli pomóc sobie nawzajem, ponieważ nie jest łatwo znaleźć dane których szukamy. Mam nadzieję, że zainteresuje Państwa odkrywanie ze mną tajemnic przeszłości. Mam rówież nadzieję poznać lepiej moje polskie dziedzictwo.

Dodałam do mojego blogu automatyczne tłumaczenia poprzez Google. Ufam, że będą wystarczające w zrozumieniu o czym jest mowa w artykułach i komentarzach.

Dziękuję! - Julie

Натисніть на прапор, щоб подивитися на українській мові

Щелкните флаг для русского перевода

Kliknij na flagę, aby zobaczyć w języku polskim

01 March 2014

Fairs, announcements and great new things coming soon with digitizing projects!

Note: I live in Virginia, and my focus today was on Virginia records. This is a post I did on my Virginia blog. But I felt most the info would be relevant to this blog as well. I believe these partnerships will do amazing things and help make many records accessible. I love spending time in the Library of Virginia. They are so amazing about record preservation and accessibility. The staff is so knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.  It was great to see the cooperation of various groups to learn about genealogy, and try to get some new ideas to try. Here is a recent email I got about Polish records, so it isn't all VA records. I look forward to much more like this, with cooperation: https://familysearch.org/blog/en/familysearch-adds-352000-indexed-records-images-collections-czech-republic-hungary-poland-united-states/


I missed my goal last weekend of doing weekly posts. I was busy preparing for today's local family history fair, practicing my presentation, and a trip to Library of Virginia. Today was a wonderful day! Next time, I'll post on here ahead of time about it. It was a huge success, so another will be done next year. Enormous amounts of preparation went into this. The committee was amazing! I was happy to be a speaker, and enjoyed sitting in the lunch room with the guests from LVA, UVA and locals like me, with varying subject interests. The thought for the fair, was that not everyone could travel to Utah for the Rootstech conferences. This was to make similar types of info available locally. Here is the link to the page for the Fredericksburg, VA fair we had today: http://fredvafamilyhistoryday.com/

Another thing that I have gotten emails and seen presentations about, is joint partnerships with familysearch and Ancestry.com. Whenever familysearch signs a contract, they say the index must always remain free. Indexers before familysearch, did the 1880 Census index and Ellis Island manifest. Those records are of course still free, years later, as the original agreement was made. The numbers of indexers and the rate projects are being digitized and accessible online is really mind boggling. But the familysearch team has bigger, higher goals than even I can fully comprehend. Check out this goal to digitize 70 billion records worldwide! Even with all the amazing volunteer work, at the rate projects are going now, it would take 250-300 years to index. With the new partnership of familysearch, heritage quest, Ancestry.com, Find my past,etc...all the collaborative effort, the records will be accessible in 25-30 years as opposed to 250-300 years. How amazing! Here is the infographic: https://familysearch.org/node/2520 Here is more detailed description, about the partnerships and picture: https://familysearch.org/node/2523

I wanted to find some official statements, not emails and presentations I've seen. There were announcements in Sep 2013 and at Rootstech in Feb 2014. Here is a link to familysearch.org about the partnership in Sep, making 1 billion records available in 5 years: https://familysearch.org/blog/en/familysearch-ancestrycom-working-records-online/
Here is the familysearch Feb info discussed at Rootstech: https://familysearch.org/blog/en/details-free-account-access-familysearch-partner-websites/
Here is the Sep announcement from Ancestry.com's page:
http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2013/09/05/ancestry-com-and-familysearch-to-make-a-billion-global-records-available-online/
Eastman also wrote about this too, (back in Sept) on his blog.

No comments: