Joseph Wojtas was the son of Valentini Wojtas and Anremae Sajner according to his marriage record. But since his brother John and sister Sophia (Zophia) all had a daughter named Anna, I am thinking the mother's name was probably Anna. On John's marriage record the mother's name was spelled Aunae. Joseph and John Wojtas were both married in Holy Cross Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Also their children were baptized there, up until 1915. Then I learned from Joseph's obituary that he also had a sister named Sophia Wojtas, with the married name of Filipek, in South Dakota. I've been able to find a number of records for the family. One thing of interest was more Klosak connections. Also interesting, was that Joseph Wojtas daughter Anna, who was born in Minneapolis, was living in Poland at the time of her fathers death, in Apr 1964, apparently unmarried. How wonderful there were still connections to Poland! I wonder if Anna knew any of my family in the United States or any of my Klosak's in Poland in the 1960's?
Descendants of Valentini Wojtas and Annie Sajner in the United States:
1. Sophia Wojtas (1885-1965) married John Filipek ( b.abt 1888) 6 Jul 1909 Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
1. Mary 1911
2. John 1912-2004
3. Stanley 1915-2001
4. Joseph 1924
5. Frank 1925-2006
6. Anna 1926
7. Amelia 1928
2. Joseph Wojtas (1887-1964) married Maryanna Klosak(1882-1923) 10 Jan 1910 Holy Cross Church, Minneapolis
1. Anna b. 1910 (not married, went to Poland)
2. Julianna b. 1911 married Edmund Joseph Letourneau 1910-1975
3. Rose Rita b.1913-1985 married John Frank Capko b. abt 1915.
4. Carolina b.1915-1969 married Carl Ersbo 1915-1995
Then Joseph married a lady named Agnes (between 1923 when Maryanna died to 1927 when Mary was born) who had two children John and Rose Thon. Joseph and Agnes also had a child named Mary.
5. John Thon married Ann abt 1940
6. Rose Thon married a Mr. Olson
7. Mary Wojtas married a Mr. Harmon
3. John Wojtas (1888-1939) married Maryanna Sandak,(b. abt 1894) (daughter of Adalbert Sandak and Regina Klusak) 20 Jan 1913 Holy Cross Church, Minneapolis
1. Anna b.1913
2. Stephania or Stella b. 1915
3. Joseph b. 1921
4. Robert b. 1926
Click on pictures to view full screen.
|Minneapolis Tribune, 28 Apr 1964 pg. 20|
|1935 South Dakota State Census from familysearch.org|